Monday 19 March 2012

Stuffed Tofu @ Bean Curds

a.k.a "tauhu sumbat" ...I've always love it..the veggie ones that is..and I prefer it with peanut sauce to chili sauce.


On Saturday after the Putrajaya trip, whilst doing grocery shopping I remembered the stuffed tofu that we had at I.A's house during our trip and decided to make it.


We had this at I.A's house last year :-)


errr...I have the tendency of trying out recipes without referring to the notes, most of the time I'd try to recall from memory..of what I've watched or seen. Sometimes it would turn up right, sometimes it's not..,


like the recent times when I tried making scones and bread..they turned out hard like bricks (not that hard, a bit softer..hahaha.)


...and I digressed from tofu.. :-)


Anyway, I attempted making the stuffed tofu for that Saturday night:



Tofu stuffed with mixture of fish fillet etc, ready to be steamed.



After 10 minutes in the steamer



Fried ~ coated with egg and flour.



Thanks I.A for introducing this :-)




That batch was gone in a short while..made a second batch (slightly more) on Sunday evening and some are kept in the freezer...hehe..


*******

Benefits of tofu (info found online) :


Tofu

~ low in fat, calories, cholesterol..and an excellent source of high quality protein from non-meat foods.


~ rich in B-vitamins and contains a lot of calcium. Calcium helps in the prevention of osteoporosis - thinning of bone tissue and loss of bone density.


~ friendly to the digestive system as it is easy to digest due to the removal of soybean's fiber during the manufacturing process.


~ rich in isoflavones. Isoflavones reduces risk osteoporosis, breast and prostate cancers.


Most soy-foods, including tofu, helps in the reduction of cholesterol in our body. It helps maintain the level of good HDL cholesterol by lowering the levels of bad LDL cholesterol.


*******

:-)


20 comments:

i amsterdam said...

Cheqna, mine ones looked so ugly and kerepot.. in the picture! I thought it was not mine, then I looked at the bowl and thought "yeah.. definitely mine!!!" hahaha

Haven't made it for a long time... now i'm hungry for it..

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Cheqna,
I love the fishy part. Err,,,kalu steam aje, tak payah goreng boleh? Healthier maa... purrr....meow!

misyamissyou said...

homai..my favvy! the steamed tofu looks delicious..gonna try it some times..lama tak masak2 benda macam ni..asyik masak lauk aje ><

TK said...

I suka tauhu..would love to try steamed tahu tu..looks really delicious babe!Everyday, dlm pantang ni, I mkn tauhu beli kat pasar Bkt Besar.

Wan Sharif said...

Not only showing how the delicious food was made.. It comes with the benefit of eating the main ingredient.. Ah macam loctor..;)

KakAsma said...

Waaa...kalau kejap jer licin pasti sedap nih..must try one day....tapi akak tak pernah cuba yang steam..mesti berbaloi2 buat tu..

Cheqna said...

I.A,

Thot I didn't have any of the photo and wanted to "kidnap" from your blog..hehe.

The kerepot must be due to cold room.. :-D

Cheqna said...

Cats dear,

why not, sometimes better go for healthier option..let's have a get together for that.


:-)

Cheqna said...

misyamissyou,

ajak2 lah guest blogger..hehehe..

:-)

Cheqna said...

TK,

makan tauhu everyday?..so far i dah 3 days in a row..beli some more but don't know how long I can do that..hehe

:-)

Cheqna said...

Ayoh Wang,

nak jadi doctor betul2 penakut, so itu ajelah caranya if boleh bantu.. :-D

Cheqna said...

KakAsma,

selamat mencuba..n makan2..hehe

:-)

Thomas Lee/Lee Lip Pang said...

wah!Tasty tofu.

MIDONZ said...

wow... nice...

i amsterdam said...

Kerepot sebab it was very soft tofu berbanding tofu M'sia... and steam for 5 minutes is enough.. and tak steam pun tak pe.

I steamed it because I did not want to fry for a long time. :D

tiefazatie said...

my mum suka nie..hee

Cheqna said...

Thomas,

Yes, tasty indeed, loved it. :-)

Cheqna said...

midonz

boleh dicuba..mmg nice :-)

Cheqna said...

I.A dear,

Thank u. I steamed it longer cos using microwave, tak panaskan dulu the water, hehe..

btw, 1st batch i added mint leaves, 2nd batch i added spring onion, both i rasa ok, and being someone yg suka pedas, sprinkled some chilli powder too, hehe.

:-)

Cheqna said...

Ifa,

n u untung sebab ur mum mesti buat sedap2 :-)

Been a while since I joined "Virtual Run" (VR), and with long MCO - Movement Control Order (and no interest from family members..h...