Thursday 19 January 2012

Tugu Negara (National Monument)

Did the tourist activity again, last time there when I was still in school..hehe..








The Tugu Negara or National Monument was erected in honor of the the fallen heroes of the 1st and 2nd World Wars, as well as the Malayan Emergency from the years 1948 to 1960. It is located on a hill next to the Malaysian Parliament House.

It is the world's tallest bronze freestanding sculpture grouping. The monument stands at 15.54m high, and is made up of a diorama of seven bronze human figures, atop an oblong base. Each figure at the National Monument denotes one of seven qualities:

~ courage
~ leadership
~ sacrifice
~ strength
~ suffering
~ unity
~ vigilance


Quick Facts :

~ Official Opening: 8 February 1966

~ Sculptor: Felix de Weldon (Austrian American)

~ Height of Sculpture: 15 metres

~ Area: 12 acres





:-)


8 comments:

Al-Manar said...

Do you know where that tugu was before 1966? The block of stone(not the sculpture of soldiers) stood more or less at the traffic roundabout between the asjid Negara and the railway station. I remember it well

thomas said...

A patriotic post,love the shot with the fountain.

i amsterdam said...

Dah tak ingat bila i pergi...

Bieaz said...

tempat besejarah....

nanti bule cheqna bukak galeri sendiri..lama2 gambar ada nilai beharga

Cheqna said...

Pak Cik Al-Manar,

Thank you for the additional info, next time when I'm in the Masjid Negara area, I'll try to figure out the place.

Hope you and Mak Cik are well.

:-)

Cheqna said...

Thomas,

Hehehe..n I was a bit patriotic that day when I was there..hehe.

Thank you for the compliment, made my day! :-D

Cheqna said...

I.A dear,

Think most people I guess...I quite like the thot that once a while we go re-visiting the "old" places.

:-)

Cheqna said...

Bie,

..and then you must come over to give me support!

tq sis!

:-)

Been a while since I joined "Virtual Run" (VR), and with long MCO - Movement Control Order (and no interest from family members..h...