Saturday 14 May 2011

Music in me

Mak said that when she was about to give birth to me, ayah was busy practising with the police band [he was ordered home when his "major" found out, so he was there for the birth :-)]

...I guess that's when it all began and why years later, I joined the school marching band even though I didn't have any basic lessons in music during primary school. :-)

[Psst...I wanted to be in the group soonest so I decided to "ditch" the trumpet (it was hard anyway) and opted for the tenor-drum instead..hehe.]

I'd loved all the trainings, practising the formations, the marchings in the sun, the competitions, the outings... and I loved the yellow and blue uniform (with the high boots no less!)..

and of course the disciplines that were instilled in us.

I don't follow the music industries but I do appreciate some songs..and when I'm driving I prefer listening to my selections of music as compared to the radio, more soothing and calming :-)

Anyway, when I was away in I.A's home..my nephew Nazeem smsed and informed me that his school, MCKK got to be in the final for the "Wind Orchestra" competition among the boarding schools (the SBPs), together with my former school and 6 others ~ to be held in early July 2011. Congrats and all the best to all the teams!


Promo for a TV program on my former school's Wind Orchestra

(Refleksi Orkestra - RTM TV1, 15th May 2011 @ 1pm)


One of my favourite songs during my band days was the "Bahtera Merdeka",

and another one was a marching tune "Polis Sedia Berkhidmat".
(no surprise there!)


:-)


2 comments:

Jolly Princess said...

Glad to know you are enjoying on what you are doing.:)

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Cheqna,
Among my fav was when you all played "This Old Man". Serious! It was funky, I thought. purrr...meow!

Been a while since I joined "Virtual Run" (VR), and with long MCO - Movement Control Order (and no interest from family members..h...