Sunday 22 February 2009

Tea anyone?



Once a week, there's this Chinese girl who comes to our office to do the cleaning of our telephones. We normally have small chats while she's doing the cleaning ~ anything from what food we have for breakfast, our weekend activities, her recent holiday trip back to her hometown in Sabah for her Chinese New Year celebration and the best one so far ~ chatting about her love of watching ghost movies!..ha ha..

(Has she watched this one?)

Last week when she turned up, she noticed that I was drinking chinese tea. She said something about ladies shouldnt drink lots of chinese tea, better to drink green tea...but she didnt explain the reason why...mmm...I thot chinese tea is just a general reference to the teas that originate from China [ :-) ], it can either be green, white, black, oolong, jasmine etc etc etc...but I'll check it out..




So I did a bit of surfing, so many sites, so many interesting info. Little bits and pieces that I could gather about the differences are due to many factors. for example ~ the time when the tea shoots are picked, whether its at tender or mature stage and from which province the tea comes from. The largest factor comes from differences in processing after the tea is harvested....


There's one website that I'm still reading - http://www.sevencups.com/



When we were in Beijing couple of years back we were taken to this "Dr Tea" house, they explained a bit of tea's origin, the making of it, the "yin and yang" (but I cant remember what, have to refer to the little notes that I took..he he ..).




Got back from Beijing with Oolong and Jasmine teas and still have it, still drinking it, hope the tea leaves have not reach it expiry dates!..ha ha..






I've yet to find the answer of what the girl said. But I guess as long as I dont drink it excessively, I hope it wont harm me.





Talking about tea, there's another "tea" session that I'm looking forward to ~ "High Tea" with my school batch, friends that I have not seen for weeks, months and may be, in years, hopefully many can make it...

...but this "tea" session will not be only on teas, cakes and buns... there'll be a buffet where I know there should be lots of my favourite food at this favourite place of mine..yummy...he he he...



However, I still prefer instant white coffee to teh tarik (literally "pulled tea" - derived from the pouring process of "pulling" the drink during preparation. It is made from black tea and condensed milk.) ~ :-)))


********

..........

********

1 comment:

bokjae said...

What a wonderful post on chinese tea and your exposure in china! thanks!

Been a while since I joined "Virtual Run" (VR), and with long MCO - Movement Control Order (and no interest from family members..h...